[ntp:questions] Implementing NTP in a legacy system

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Dec 12 18:59:01 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-12, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
> unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
>> On 2012-12-12, andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com <andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I'm rather new to NTP so please forgive me, if my question is trivial.
>>>
>>> I'm maintaining a legacy system with its own proprietary time
>>
>> Why be coy. Why not tell us what that legacy system is. And why you
>> would want to keep its own proprietary time sync protocol.
>
> Come on, he posts using a visible domain name and you can probably guess
> in what business he is.
> Besides, this information is not at all required for people who want
> to answer the question instead of reply with a troll remark.

Yes, it is useful to answer what I preceive to be his question.

>> Again, you have given no information.
>> But that gateway device would have to be running ntpd or some other
>> program which recognizes ntp protocol queries to act as any kind of
>> server for ntp. If it does not, it is not anykind of server.
>
> He posts a clear question: is it possible to run an NTP server that
> keeps its own virtual time and serves it to other systems without
> synchronizing the clock of the system it is running on.

That was NOT the question he posted. It is interpretation of his
question, an interpretation which may be wrong, whic his why more
information is needed. IF that is the question, then, as far as I know,
the answer is no. The place where ntp keeps its time information is in
the system time.