[ntp:questions] Implementing NTP in a legacy system

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Wed Dec 12 21:05:39 UTC 2012

Steve Kostecke wrote:

>> 2. Is it possible to prevent ntpd on the gateway from setting the system
>> time on the gateway?
>
> The only way to do so is to use the Undisciplined Local Clock driver as
> your "time source" and have some other process discipline (i.e. set) the
> system time on the "gateway".

The way I read this was that the gateway system clock must be decoupled
from the proprietary time source, so one cannot use the proprietary
source to discipline the clock and then configure ntpd with the local
clock as source.

If that reading is correct, you need to implement an SNTP server more or
less from scratch.  As all the complexity is in the client, that should
not be too onerous.