[ntp:questions] Implementing NTP in a legacy system

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Wed Dec 12 21:09:44 UTC 2012

andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com wrote:

> reference clock of the NTP daemon on the gateway device.  In my limited
> understanding this means that the NTP daemon on the gateway would become a
> stratum 1 server, right? Are there ways to "easily" add new reference

It should only really become stratum 1 if the device is a "UTC" atomic
clock or is something like a radio clock synchronised to one.

In particular, if it is in no way synchronised to "UTC", best practice
would be to use the highest stratum number that the network will
tolerate, so that the time cannot leak too far.

"UTC" is in quotes because real UTC is only really known some time after
the fact.