[ntp:questions] Implementing NTP in a legacy system

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Thu Dec 13 11:24:58 UTC 2012

andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm rather new to NTP so please forgive me, if my question is trivial.
>
> I'm maintaining a legacy system with its own proprietary time
> synchronisation protocols.  Now I want to add a new subsystem which
> requires a NTP daemon to be available.  I have added a gateway device
> which will be used to run an NTP daemon to provide NTP based time
> synchronisation to the newly added subsystem.

Andreas, the most common method is to have one machine which has its
system clock synchronized by the legacy system, then use ntp to
distribute this (local clock) time to the other ntp-using systems.

You can do this with the local clock driver, which basically promises
that "the local time is always correct, you can safely send it out to
clients", but if you do so please keep the stratum level as high as you
can, i.e. in the 12-14 range depending upon how many levels of clients
you will have.

It should work quite well to keep the new systems synchronized with the
legacy network!

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>