[ntp:questions] Win7: ntpd adjusting time backwards

Thu Dec 13 20:52:54 UTC 2012

Jeroen Mostert wrote:> BlackLists wrote:
>> ntpq -c "rv&0 precision"
>>   should give a clue how close you can expect to get on
>>    a given machine.
>>
> I assume you mean 'ntpq -c "rv 0 precision"'.
>  Your command gives me an error.

Yes, however it should work with the '&' on newer 4.2.7 flavors.

> I'm not sure that means much. On the physical machines
>   I get precision=-10, which makes sense since the multimedia
>   timer is on and the resolution of GSTAFT is 1 ms.
>  On the virtuals, however, I get -19 (ntpd 4.2.6p5) and -20
>  (ntpd 4.2.7p310).
>  That may reflect the numerical precision of the interpolated
>   clock, but that doesn't mean actually reading it with
>   that precision is useful.

That Precision is supposed to represent the time it takes
  to read the system clock.

 So whatever that is, you shouldn't expect a application
  to be able to "get time" more often.

  will be added to the BlackLists.