[ntp:questions] Panic stop captured

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Fri Dec 14 21:11:47 UTC 2012

I finally had a panic stop with an instrumented copy of 4.2.7p270 which
was capturing various values inside the functions refclock_process_f and
  refclock_process_offset.

I'm going to post an entire capture of the log but one thing I noticed
is that the value of pp->nsec at the top of refclock_process_f slowly
ticks down and then wraps around.  Eventually a panic stop happens:

panic_stop +2147483648 s; set clock manually within 1000 s.

(but the clock hasn't changed, the system time is still correct to
within a second of all my other systems).

Apparently the wrap around happens pretty frequently so it's not likely
the cause of the problem.

For now the log is available at http://acarver.net/ntpd/ntpd_panic.log
(8 MB file, be warned) in case any of you has an idea about what might
be happening to cause the panic or there's anything else I should
instrument and write to the logs instead.  There are several steps in
each of the functions written out to the log looking for overflows or
similar.  I do have various statistics files for that period, too, if
they would be useful.