[ntp:questions] Is there a reason broadcast client will not work in Windows XP?

Charles Elliott elliott.ch at verizon.net
Thu Dec 20 01:37:54 UTC 2012

I recently setup a computer running Windows XP.  I cannot make it act as a
broadcast client.  The packets are being received by the computer, but they
are not being received by NTPD.  The same server is received in server mode.
The usual messages appear in the Event Log, but they also appear under
Windows 7 and 8, but still broadcast mode works there.  The Event Log
messages are (in reverse order, bottom to top):

io_setbclient: Opened broadcast client on interface #2 LAN

bind(520) AF_INET 192.168.1.255#123 flags 0x39 failed: Can't assign
requested address

io_setbclient: Opened broadcast client on interface #1 WAN

bind(520) AF_INET 192.168.0.255#123 flags 0x39 failed: Can't assign
requested address

There is nothing else in the config file except:

broadcastclient

broadcastdelay 0.000350

I am running ntpd 4.2.7p287-o Jul 03, 7:20:23.93 (UTC-00:00) 2012 (1)

I cannot make any version later than that run on Win XP, although they run
on Win 7 & 8.

Charles Elliott