[ntp:questions] A Christmas puzzler - intermittent offset oscillations with a PPS source

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Dec 21 09:55:26 UTC 2012

I have two Raspberry Pi card computers both synced to GPS/PPS sources.
#1 is using a u-blox 6M "navigation" GPS, and #2 a Trimble resolution
SMT "timing" GPS.  Every now and then (perhaps one day on ten?), the
"navigation" synced device develops spikes in the offset of about 8
microseconds in duration, as shown here:

Graphs for December 20:
   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html#oscillations

Current data:
   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp-pn.php

Although the offset appears to have a 1.25 hour period from the MRTG
graphs, examining the loopstats directly shows that the actual period is
just over about 5/3 minutes - just over 100 seconds.  I don't know
what's happening.  I would have put it down to poor GPS strength, except
that the effect lasts almost a whole day, and GPS missing usually
contributes bigger offset spikes.  I would not expect it to be the
navigation mode of the GPS as the excursions are larger than I would
expect between navigation and timing modes, but I don't have a lot of
experience in that area.  One difference in the configuration is that #1
- the one with the offsets - runs and uses gpsd for the coarse seconds,
whereas #2 relies on the rest of the network.  This seems to causes a
higher CPU usage in #1, shown in there graphs:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_raspi-1.php
   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_raspi-2.php

Your comments welcomed!
--