[ntp:questions] Second attempt at GPS-18 based NTP server

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Thu Feb 2 20:58:22 UTC 2012

On 2/2/2012 02:02, Paul Duncan wrote:

> Please note, I have not done any recompiling of the kernel at this stage
> - just using the GENERIC kernel, because after reading the comments from
> Per Hederland in the System software customisation section of the above
> web page, it seemed unnecessary. Comments?

The generic BSD kernel does not enable PPS support by default.  You must
recompile to enable PPS.

The page you quoted says the following in the section "System software
customization" (about 45% down the page in the Software section):

System software customisation

Need to add one line to the Kernel configuration:

     options PPS_SYNC

and recompile the Kernel.  On my 133MHz/48MB system this can take
several hours.  Note the configuration suggestions below before you
recompile the kernel.