[ntp:questions] ntpd losing sync

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Mon Feb 6 08:35:17 UTC 2012

On 2/6/2012 00:29, Dave Hart wrote:

> I get very little out of your logs below.  First, the log file uses
> local time in hours:min:sec while the stats files use UTC in seconds
> of the day form.  I would need to know your configured local time zone
> and use a calculator to correlate them.
>
> Please consider running ntpd on another machine independently sourcing
> the time (from the same GPS via splitter, or another GPS, or from the
> net, but not from the IPX).  If you then reference the independent
> ntpd from the IPX using noselect, it might become clear to you if the
> IPX's clock is going haywire, or the PPS signal/PPSAPI
> layer/refclock_atom.c combination is the trouble.

> You might also consider switching from gpsd/shm + atom/pps to using
> NMEA directly -- at least for testing, if other avenues of diagnosing
> the problem prove fruitless.

I'll try the splitter this coming weekend when I have an opportunity to
set up a second system.  The clock on the IPX is set for UTC so no
conversions should be necessary.

I guess I can try NMEA for a diagnosis but actually want the GPS to be
in SiRF binary because I planned on using the gpsd data elsewhere, too.
  Splitting the GPS to another machine will probably be easier.

If I set up the clockstats, do I need to configure flag4 on the PPS
refclock for it to record PPS data?