[ntp:questions] Second attempt at GPS-18 based NTP server

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Feb 2 16:30:51 UTC 2012

> On NetBSD-5 with ntpd 4.2.6p5 the default is 64s.

I wonder what expertise they have to select polling for reference clocks?
BTW: Paul has FreeBSD.

> I've just added the "minpoll 4 maxpoll 4" back to my ntp.conf
> as it could reduce the 30 usec offset blips I get when logs are
> rotated.

Agreed.

> On my two pool servers I have named internet servers with
> "minpoll 8 maxpoll 10 iburst" which gives reasonably fast
> recovery from internet outages.
>
> Temperature changes  here mean that on pcs that don't have
> a PPS source "minpoll 10" just doesn't work and leads to
> ntpd stepping the clock.
>
> David

As I have five stratum-1 servers here fed from four GPS receivers, I'm
hopeful that I won't need to reply on Internet servers.  The portable PC I
might take out and use Wi-Fi has the standard "minpoll 6 maxpoll 10
iburst" settings.

Don't you link you other PCs to your stratum-1 server?  I do, with lines
like:

  server  192.168.0.n  iburst  maxpoll 5  prefer # FreeBSD server
  server  192.168.0.n  iburst  maxpoll 5 # Windows server
  server  192.168.0.n  iburst  maxpoll 5 # Windows server

Cheers,
David