[ntp:questions] Second attempt at GPS-18 based NTP server

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Feb 2 23:30:59 UTC 2012

David Lord wrote:

> I've just added the "minpoll 4 maxpoll 4" back to my ntp.conf
> as it could reduce the 30 usec offset blips I get when logs are
> rotated.

That's almost certainly totally the wrong thing to do.  If you have
short periods of increased interrupt latency or network latency, you
want a long poll interval so that the samples with the high offsets (and
delays) are ignored.

Forcing a short interval will make ntpd track the temporary errors in
the time measurements.

Offset is not a direct measure of the timekeeping error.