[ntp:questions] How do you reply to list postings

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Wed Feb 8 08:14:10 UTC 2012

Dave Hart wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 23:01, Lylex Ryan <lylexryan at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> And if all you get is the daily summary, how to you reply to a post?
>>
>> This post is my best guess: by cutting the message out of the daily summary and replying to the list with an appropriate Subject.
>
> Good guess!

You should never do this; it breaks threading.  If you must use the
mailing list gateway and use it in digest mode, you should configure it
into MIME digest mode, and use a MIME digest aware email client.  If it
cannot be so configured, or you email client is not capable, you should
treat it as strictly read=only, when in digest mode.

It is also worth noting that, at least historically, some email postings
never make it to the core usenet group.  I don't know if this has been
fixed since.