[ntp:questions] how to change the runtime priority of NTPD on Windows

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 8 19:55:30 UTC 2012

On 2/3/2012 12:14 PM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
BlackLists wrote:
> Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
>
>> So, the question is, how do I force this process to always start at the
>> priority that I want, rather than having to change it each time in Task
>> Manager?
>>
> Change the service's "Path to executable" e.g. ntpd.exe -M ...
>   Get rid of the -M
>
> <http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html>

Hello.  I'm not sure who to address my reply to.  Thanks for the link to
the configuration info.  Here are a couple of quotes from it:

-M
    Raise scheduler precision to its maximum (1 ms) using
    timeBeginPeriod. (Windows only)

-P /priority/
    To the extent permitted by the operating system, run the ntpd at the
    specified priority.

It doesn't appear to me that -M is related to process priority, but to
internal scheduler timing.  I tinkered around with the -P parameter a
little, but couldn't detect any changes.

Sincerely,

Ron