[ntp:questions] ntpd wedged again

Wed Feb 8 21:41:58 UTC 2012

> BlackList wrote:
>> Any CPU power management enabled?
>
> Good question, but, no.  System is set never to sleep,
>  never to standby, never to shut down hard drive,
>  and hibernate only if on battery with critical low battery.

FYI, CPU power management differs from those system power
 management you mentioned.

e.g. Both Intel & AMD have differing cpu core power management
 in their current multi-core products, that vary core frequency,
 & / or shutdown some cores, .... (among other things they change
 in the cores like supply voltage);
 Some of them change without / beyond user control.
  See also: ACPI C & P states

 Consider this:
<BlockQuote> <http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-031497.htm>
Power Management modes may interfere with speed detection
  tests performed by the Processor Identification Utility.
 Power management modes can result in a marginally higher
  or lower reported frequency than the expected frequency.
</BlockQuote>
<http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2006/volume10issue02/art03_Power_and_Thermal_Management/p03_power_management.htm?wapkw=Power%20Management>

<BlockQuote>
AMD CoolCore™ Technology
Works automatically without the need for drivers or BIOS enablement.
Power can be switched on or off within a single clock cycle,
 saving energy with no impact to performance.
</BlockQuote>
<http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii-key-architectural-features.aspx>

I can't find one specific article at the moment, however IIRC,
 it said there were some AMD flavors that will change
 the core frequencies for thermal management,
 independent of user controls.

FYI: For Win 7 & Vista, to lock the process to a specific core,
      See: start /affinity

  will be added to the BlackLists.