[ntp:questions] ntpd wedged again

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Thu Feb 9 07:50:10 UTC 2012

On 2/8/2012 4:41 PM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
BlackLists wrote:
>> BlackList wrote:
>>
>>> Any CPU power management enabled?
>>>
>> Good question, but, no.  System is set never to sleep,
>>   never to standby, never to shut down hard drive,
>>   and hibernate only if on battery with critical low battery.
>>
> FYI, CPU power management differs from those system power
>   management you mentioned.
>
> e.g. Both Intel&  AMD have differing cpu core power management
>   in their current multi-core products, that vary core frequency,
>   &  / or shutdown some cores, .... (among other things they change
>   in the cores like supply voltage);
>   Some of them change without / beyond user control.
>    See also: ACPI C&  P states
>
>   Consider this:
> <BlockQuote>  <http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-031497.htm>
> Power Management modes may interfere with speed detection
>    tests performed by the Processor Identification Utility.
>   Power management modes can result in a marginally higher
>    or lower reported frequency than the expected frequency.
> </BlockQuote>
> <http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2006/volume10issue02/art03_Power_and_Thermal_Management/p03_power_management.htm?wapkw=Power%20Management>
>
> <BlockQuote>
> AMD CoolCore™ Technology
> Works automatically without the need for drivers or BIOS enablement.
> Power can be switched on or off within a single clock cycle,
>   saving energy with no impact to performance.
> </BlockQuote>
> <http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii-key-architectural-features.aspx>
>
> I can't find one specific article at the moment, however IIRC,
>   it said there were some AMD flavors that will change
>   the core frequencies for thermal management,
>   independent of user controls.
>
> FYI: For Win 7&  Vista, to lock the process to a specific core,
>        See: start /affinity

I see what you mean.  From that point of view, I think the only settings
I have access to in the power configuration are:

      Minimum CPU Frequency - 20%
      Maximum CPU Frequency - 100%
      System Cooling Policy - Active (I think that varies the fan before
throttling the CPU for heat reasons.)

There is also another thing which may be related:

      USB Selective Suspend - Enabled

Since the Meinberg installer set up NTPD to run as a service, I don't
know how to set a processor affinity.  I'm not sure that would affect
the stability of NTPD anyway.

Sincerely,

Ron