[ntp:questions] Update NTP on FreeBSD 8.2
David J Taylor
david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Feb 9 18:13:53 UTC 2012
Folks, I admit that I know very little about FreeBSD! Following the
recent discussions I have:
- Updated my FreeBSD from 8.0 to 8.2, in the hope that this might update
NTP. It didn't.
- It did manage to insert some duff lines in sshd_conf which were enough
to stop that working! Fixed that after I dug out another display and
- It lost my kernel PPS configuration, which I managed to restore by
following the instructions for FreeBSD 5 with the suggestions made by
- I tried to update NTP using the instructions here:
but that didn't seem to update the version after a restart.
- I compiled the dev-NTP I had downloaded following the instructions in
the INSTALL file, which also appeared to compile, but did not alter the
ntpd version after a restart.
So I suspect I am missing some key step like copying the newly compiled
executables from where they have been compiled (twice) into the final
directory from where the system runs them. As I said, I'm a complete
novice in FreeBSD so likely I'm missing some very obvious step. I've
Googled this but must be searching for the wrong keywords.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
More information about the questions