[ntp:questions] Update NTP on FreeBSD 8.2

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Thu Feb 9 18:35:19 UTC 2012

David J Taylor wrote:
> So I suspect I am missing some key step like copying the newly compiled
> executables from where they have been compiled (twice) into the final
> directory from where the system runs them. As I said, I'm a complete
> novice in FreeBSD so likely I'm missing some very obvious step. I've
> Googled this but must be searching for the wrong keywords.

You are very close probably...

> Suggestions would be appreciated.

Check you /etc/rc.conf file, it probably has lines somewhat like this:

NTPD_ENABLE = YES
NTPD_PROGRAM =/usr/sbin/ntpd

while the default installation from "make; make install" will put your
new ntp* executables in /usr/local/bin.

I fix this by stopping ntpd, doing 'rm /usr/sbin/ntp* ;rm
/usr/bin/ntp*', fix the NTPD_PROGRAM entry in rc.conf and then restart
the process.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>