[ntp:questions] Update NTP on FreeBSD 8.2

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Feb 9 20:01:51 UTC 2012

>> Suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Check you /etc/rc.conf file, it probably has lines somewhat like this:
>
> NTPD_ENABLE = YES
> NTPD_PROGRAM =/usr/sbin/ntpd
>
> while the default installation from "make; make install" will put your
> new ntp* executables in /usr/local/bin.
>
> I fix this by stopping ntpd, doing 'rm /usr/sbin/ntp* ;rm
> /usr/bin/ntp*', fix the NTPD_PROGRAM entry in rc.conf and then restart
> the process.
>
> Terje

This is a good start, Terje, but not yet perfect.  Using the FreeBSD
suggestion from:

  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/InstallingNTP#Section_4.3.

I did get a workign set of files from /usr/local/bin/ntp* which I was able
to copy on top of those in /usr/sbin/ (having taken a safety copy).
However, trying to compile the distribution as noted in para 4.1.1 on that
page, resulted in files in /usr/local/sbin/ which appeared not to work
when copied.  (I haven't yet found where to look for error messages!).  I
did nothing to the distribution download to configure it for FreeBSD,
though.

I see a suggestion from Kenyon, so I may try that next.

Many thanks for your help so far.
David