[ntp:questions] what happens if ntp server jumps time BIG TIME

bombjack bombjack99 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 21:36:57 UTC 2012

Hi,
Scenario:
- I'm in control of a NTP server and can change the time on this
server as I please (this server is "sync'ed to the hw-clock)
- I have a client that is sync'ed with the server above (and only that
server)

What happens if I change the time on the server, lets say 5 years
forward? Will the client sync to the server? and If so, how? big leap?
small steps? Will the flag "-g" affect how the client reacts to this
changes?

Yes, I do realise that this scenario is stupid in many ways. Only one
server, big time changes on the server etc etc, and I do know how to
fix ti, but this is the scenario that I need an answer to.

Any input welcome!

BR,
Fredrik