[ntp:questions] what happens if ntp server jumps time BIG TIME

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Feb 9 22:27:42 UTC 2012

Hi--

On Feb 9, 2012, at 1:36 PM, bombjack wrote:
> What happens if I change the time on the server, lets say 5 years
> forward? Will the client sync to the server? and If so, how? big leap?
> small steps? Will the flag "-g" affect how the client reacts to this
> changes?

Exactly.  If the server reports a time that is further than the panic threshold from the client's clock (which defaults to 1000 seconds) then it will reject the server and exit.  A human is then expected to manually inspect the situation and set the clock to something reasonably close.  The -g flag lets you disable this sanity check.

Regards,
--
-Chuck