[ntp:questions] Update NTP on FreeBSD 8.2

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Feb 10 18:43:22 UTC 2012

> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> FYI: "bested" is not English. "only Linux runs on more".
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bested
> http://dictionary.die.net/bested

It's still not correct English to use an adjective as a verb, but please
s/English/good English/.

> Windows:
> runs on ia32 and has been expanded to work on
> the two 64bit derivatives introducing incompatibilities
> and cludges to no end. The step is so difficult that
> a significant amount of commercial software is not ported
> to support any 64bit derivative.
>
> Imho this still stands:
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Windows

.. amusing, perhaps, but hardly accurate for the current NT-based Windows!

> uwe

Uwe,

You paint a negative picture, which does not resemble my own experience.
The software is not ported because often there is no requirement to port.
Since 32-bit software, including NTP, will run on both 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows, it may not make economic sense to provide multiple variants.
This backwards compatibility is valued by many users (and software
developers).

On two systems here I have 64-bit Windows-7, both running 32-bit NTP.  One
has Dave Hart's 64-bit serialpps.sys and is a stratum-1 server.  As that
is not (yet) a signed driver, I did need to take the extra steps
documented on my Web site to allow it to run.

Cheers,
David