[ntp:questions] how do I lock in average frequency correction

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sun Feb 12 20:51:58 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-12, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2012, at 9:36 AM, unruh wrote:
>> On 2012-02-12, Ron Frazier (NTP) <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote:
>>> It is my understanding that NTP is continuously making small changes to
>>> the software clock to keep the timing accurate while the os is running.
>>> 95% of the time, my computers are doing the same thing and 95% of the
>>> time, I'm doing the same thing with the computers.  Therefore, over a
>>> long time interval, the interrupt usage should be similar, and over a
>>> long time interval, the correct clock frequency to maintain accuracy
>>> should be similar.
>>
>> That above paragraph is not comprehensible to me. Yes, ntp is making
>> small changes to the software clock frequency.
>> What does your doing with the computer have to do with interrupt usage?
>
> I also found it a bit difficult to understand the concern being asked, but:
>
> - some operating systems have or had bugs where they will miss timer interrupts and cause the kernel "clock" to run more slowly (ie, a firewall/router running at high packets-per-second and seeing a huge # of network interrupts)
>
> - doing some long, max-CPU activity like "transcoding a movie" will heat up the system and the crystal
>
>> The clock crystal ages, and suffers internal crystal "cracks"
>> migrations, etc, which change the frequency of the crystal. Thus even in
>> a temperature controlled oven, the crystal frequency will change, but
>> much of the crystal frequency change is driven by temperature changes.
>
> Agreed, temperature swings will have a major impact on the crystal frequency.
>
>>> I also would like to understand how ntp interacts with the Real Time
>>> Clock.  I think I've read that either NTP or the OS (I don't know which)
>>
>> It depends. ntp itself does not intereact with the real time clock at
>> all. However, under Linux, if the system clock thinks it is synced, it
>> resets te real time clock every 11 min to the system clock. also, in the
>> OS, hwclock is run at the end to reset the real time clock to the system
>> clock.
>
> Yes, ntpd does not interact with the hardware TOY/RTC at all.  Whether the system

Well, it does in the sense that it sets the 11 min mode in the kernel,
so that the kernel keeps resetting the rtc every 11 min. That does not
however affect the rate of the rtc.
chrony for example switches off the 11 min mode of the Linux kernel. But
then it also measures the rtc and estimates ( but does not correct, it
cannot) the rate error in the rtc for use on next bootup. (of course it
measures the rate error when the inside of the computer is hot, and the
"off time" which it attempts to correct the computer is cold)

> itself updates the BIOS/firmware/EFI RTC is both operating system specific and
> hardware specific.
>
>>> will save the time to the RTC when shutting down and retrieve the time
>>> from the RTC when booting up.  I'd like to know if this is true, first
>>> of all, and I'd like to know if it makes any corrections to the clock
>>> rate of the RTC so it is more accurate.
>>
>> No. it does not, especially with that 11 minute mode, it cannot figure
>> out the rate of the clock. If you switch off the 11 min mode, by
>> constantly telling the system clock it is not in sync, then you can use
>> some versions of hwclock to measure the drift rate of the rtc.
>> But there is absolutely no way of altering the rate of the rtc without
>> unsoldering your clock crystal from the motherboard and putting in a new
>> one, or putting in a trimming capacitor, and adjusting it by hand.
>
> You might be able to improve the stability of the crystal by ensuring good
> airflow and cooling via HVAC as needed.  And I suppose you could adjust the
> rate by changing the HVAC set-point, but I don't think the benefit is worth it.
>
> I'd be more likely switch to an OXCO + GPS on a PCI/PCIe card if such as needed.

Not clear that that would handle the rtc. Except if you mean that you
would use the gps itself as the rtc.