[ntp:questions] lots of GPS modules and info at SparkFun

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Mon Feb 13 02:00:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:20, Terje Mathisen wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>> GEt the manual from Mediatex MTK NMEA Packet User Manual, which gives a
>> far far more extensive set of nmea programming instructions for the
>> chipset that Sure uses.
>

> Does that one have more info than my current program?
>
> C:\c2\nmea-mtk>Release\nmea-mtk.exe -?
> nmea-mtk (c) 2011 Terje Mathisen
> Syntax: nmea-mtk [options]

The SURE electronics unit people have been buying as an affordable
refclock for those with soldering skills and time is the reference
design for the SkyNet SKG16AH chip known as SKG16B [1].  Unruh and
Terje are talking about a MTK (I or II?) chipset.  Does anyone know
the relationship between the two?  I'm wondering if there's a way to
refer to both unambiguously, or if they're subtly different beasts.

After a little more digging I came across a nice comparison table of
chipsets [2] which suggests to me the SKG16AH is derived from or
clones the interface of a MTk design.  If you have additional insight
or can correct me, I'd appreciate it.

[1] http://www.skylab.com.cn/datasheet/SkyNav_SKG16AH_DS.pdf
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Chipset

Cheers,