[ntp:questions] how to force NTP to use GPS

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Mon Feb 13 14:56:18 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 23:56, Ron Frazier (NTP)
<timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the note. I have prefer on my gps line in ntp.conf. I have to do
> more testing. I thought I saw it select another clock anyway some time
> during the day. I know the GPS was available at the time and it wasn't
> insane.

Check your event log, or your configured logfile.  You should see an
entry each time the source changes:

13 Feb 11:02:13 ntpd[1780]: 65.49.70.243 131a 8a sys_peer

That information is also logged to protostats, if enabled.  See
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/prefer.html to understand
the effects of prefer.

Cheers,
Dave Hart