[ntp:questions] ntpd wedged again

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Feb 14 06:43:08 UTC 2012

"A C" <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote in message
news:4F398579.9060201 at acarver.net...
[]
> I'm not sure it's a good idea either but I would really like to
> understand why a refclock clamps the polling interval at such a low
> value when nearly every bit of documentation says we should be kind to
> NTP servers and make sure the polling period is allowed to reach 1024.

If you look back in the archives of this newsgroup you will find that I
asked David Mills a similar question, and he gave an answer.  I'm not sure
that I completely understood the answer, though.

I now have lines like the following in my ntp.conf file for my stratum-1
PCs:

  server	0.uk.pool.ntp.org	minpoll 10
  server	1.uk.pool.ntp.org	minpoll 10
  server	0.nl.pool.ntp.org	minpoll 10

As I have three PCs peered fed from different GPS receivers I'm hoping
that the Internet servers are never needed.  <G>

Cheers,
David