[ntp:questions] lots of GPS modules and info at SparkFun

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Tue Feb 14 18:52:19 UTC 2012

Hi Paul,

I noticed the module you mentioned uses the Sirf III chipset.  I've been
doing a good bit of experimentation with a GlobalSat BU-353 (no PPS)
which is also based on the same chipset.  David Taylor was nice enough
to post my experience on his website from a series of dialogs we had.
You might find the information useful, including how I programmed the
unit.  The GlobalSat specific data may not apply to the unit you
mentioned, but the Sirf stuff should apply to either.  If you want to
look it up, the link is below.  I don't think that page mentions it, but
I now have my unit outputting only the GPZDA NMEA sentence, which seems
to give the most accurate timing information and the least jitter.  I
don't think this sentence has any position information.  Obviously, with
PPS, the accuracy of the NMEA is less important.  But, with my current
setup, I'm getting pretty consistent +/- 6 ms accuracy.

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/conversation-with-ron.html

Sincerely,

Ron