[ntp:questions] how I did Ubuntu + NTPD + GPS, but how do I keep it?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 21:08:54 UTC 2012

> .... Also, I'd like to know how to have multiple USB serial devices
> plugged in, since, as I understand it, there's no guarantee that the same
> USB device will always be assigned to /dev/ttyUSB0.

Simple hack is to edit less /etc/init.d/ntpd

Be sure and save the edited verion as an OS upgrades might over right it.

How to automatically find the GPS after it is plugged in.      Read
the port.  You should see a NMEA sentence on it.   Takes a bit of
shell or perl script.

But a "real" ntp server would have a serial RS232 port and you almost
never re-boot except to replace failed hardware.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California