[ntp:questions] how do I lock in average frequency correction

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 02:11:56 UTC 2012

On 2/14/2012 10:50 AM, Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
> On 2/14/2012 9:36 AM, unruh wrote:
>>> Perhaps a silly question, but, does the "tick" that drives the OS
>>> software clock originate from the RTC or from the CPU master clock at 2
>>> GHz or whatever? Just trying to understand how this stuff works.
>> Not clear what thei question has to do with frequency stablizing a xtal,
>> but the system clock is linked to the cpu clock.
>>

> I was simply wondering which crystal is the perpetrator. I always
> thought the CPU clock was highly accurate.
>
> Ron

Generally, those crystals have failed quality control by the clock/watch
makers.

They could build a good clock into the computer but that costs money and
raises prices.  Most people don't care about the computer having
the exact time.

Most people couldn't care less if their wrist watch gains or looses
a second a week.