[ntp:questions] why do internet servers not poll at longer intervals

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 15 08:42:57 UTC 2012

On 2/15/2012 3:23 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>> +nist1-ny.ustimi .ACTS.           1 u   25   64  377   53.990
>> 3.458 6.160
>> #216.119.63.113  .ACTS.           1 u   42   64  377   59.998
>> 22.534 5.595
>> +india.colorado. .ACTS.           1 u   36   64  377   63.986
>> 1.739 6.604
>> +ping-audit-207- .ACTS.           1 u   50   64  377   83.998
>> 0.715 3.206
> []
>> Ron
>
> Ron,
>
> What Internet connection do you have?  I see delays of 25 - 35 ms on
> my cable modem connection, which is 30 Mb/s down and 1 Mb/s up.  I
> don't know whether delays of 54 - 84 ms are what would be expected on
> your connection, but they seem long delays to me.  It may be worth
> checking whether your ISP has an NTP server.  Sometime stratum-1 NTP
> servers can get overloaded because too many people connect to them,
> and stratum-2 servers will give better results (especially if they are
> better connected to you).
>
> Cheers,
> David

Hi David,

My PC connects to my basement router with wifi G, which is then wired to
a wired router which is wired to the cable modem.  Service is Comcast
16-20 Mbps down and 3-4 Mbps up.  I get pretty low jitter to the NY NIST
server, which is the one this machine normally hits if there is no GPS.
I'm not sure if Comcast has a public NTP server or not.

Sincerely,

Ron