[ntp:questions] help - clock jumps up to 5000 ms startup ntpd with usb gps linux

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Sat Feb 18 16:48:14 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm having a really weird problem where I'm using NPTD WITHOUT GPSD in
Ubuntu 11.04 Linux with a GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS.  Before starting
NTPD, I correct the clock to within a few ms with NTPDATE.  Then,
immediately upon the startup of NTPD, the clock jumps 300 ms to 5000 ms
off as reported by NTPQ.  I know it really is off, because it reports
this serious offset not only to the GPS but also to the internet
servers.  Not only that, if I run NTPDATE again after terminating NTPD,
it corrects the clock by approximately the same amount as the offsets
that NTPQ reported.  I don't think this occurs in Windows much if at
all.  But, it pretty much always does in Linux if the GPS is attached.
I hope someone can help me.  I'm not using nor do I need PPS at this
time, but may pursue it later.  I know that this GPS can give me 6ms
accuracy on Windows, and it should be able to do that on Linux.  Also,
I'm trying not to use GPSD since that's not available in Windows and I
want to keep both configurations essentially the same.  Here are the
steps to duplicate the problem in Linux.

Plug in the USB GPS.  This one uses the Prolific 2303 chipset, so Linux
automatically recognizes it.

Set the port settings (from David Taylor's website):

      sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 57600 igncr clocal -echo -ixon

Create a link from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/gps5

      sudo ln -T /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/gps5

I have preprogrammed the GPS to output the GPZDA sentence at 57600
baud.  Check the output.  Ctrl-C to end.

      ron at asus-k52f-1:/etc$ sudo cat /dev/gps5
      $GPZDA,162338.000,18,02,2012,,*51
      $GPZDA,162339.000,18,02,2012,,*50
      $GPZDA,162340.000,18,02,2012,,*5E
      $GPZDA,162341.000,18,02,2012,,*5F

This is exactly what the GPS should be sending out.

The relevant ntp.conf lines are:

      server 127.127.20.5                prefer minpoll 3 maxpoll 13 mode 72
      fudge  127.127.20.5 time2 0.2930 refid GPS1

Set the computer's clock 3 times.

      ron at asus-k52f-1:/etc$ sudo ntpdate -b nist1-ny.ustiming.org
      18 Feb 11:28:48 ntpdate[17968]: step time server 64.90.182.55
offset 0.012966 sec
      ron at asus-k52f-1:/etc$ sudo ntpdate -b nist1-ny.ustiming.org
      18 Feb 11:28:57 ntpdate[17985]: step time server 64.90.182.55
offset -0.000027 sec
      ron at asus-k52f-1:/etc$ sudo ntpdate -b nist1-ny.ustiming.org
      18 Feb 11:29:08 ntpdate[18008]: step time server 64.90.182.55
offset 0.001291 sec

I now KNOW that the clock is right within a few ms and I KNOW that the
GPS is outputting the proper data.

Now start NTPD:

      ron at asus-k52f-1:/etc$ sudo ntpd

Now check with NTPQ:

ron at asus-k52f-1:/etc$ ntpq -p
jitter
*GPS_NMEA(5)     .GPS1.           0 l    4    8   37    0.000  563.733
0.010
  nist1-ny.ustimi .ACTS.           1 u   32   64    1   54.928
554.504   0.000
  216.119.63.113  .ACTS.           1 u   43   64    1   61.896
578.076   0.000
  india.colorado. .ACTS.           1 u   44   64    1   60.297
552.711   0.000
  ping-audit-207- .ACTS.           1 u   41   64    1   84.318
548.833   0.000

NOTE that the clock is now off by ~ 550 ms.  I have seen it as high as
5000 ms.

Now I end the NTPD process from the system monitor.

Now I reset the clock again with NTPDATE:

      ron at asus-k52f-1:/etc$ sudo ntpdate -b nist1-ny.ustiming.org
      18 Feb 11:34:56 ntpdate[18588]: step time server 64.90.182.55
offset 0.557084 sec

NOTE that the clock was corrected by 557 ms!

Now, just for kicks, I run NTPDATE again.

      ron at asus-k52f-1:/etc$ sudo ntpdate -b nist1-ny.ustiming.org
      18 Feb 11:36:43 ntpdate[18775]: step time server 64.90.182.55
offset 0.001093 sec

NOTE that, this time, the clock was only corrected by 1 ms.

Now, let's check the output of the GPS again:

      ron at asus-k52f-1:/etc$ sudo cat /dev/gps5
      $GPZDA,163805.000,18,02,2012,,*55

      $GPZDA,163806.000,18,02,2012,,*56

      $GPZDA,163807.000,18,02,2012,,*57

      $GPZDA,163808.000,18,02,2012,,*58

NOTE that there are now blank lines between each entry, where there
weren't before.  This may have something to do with the problem.  NTPD
appears to be turning off the igncr parameter on the /dev/ttyUSB0 port,
which is linked to /dev/gps5.

This is totally baffling to me and very frustrating.  I have the clock
very closely synchronized, then I start NTPD, and it jumps way off.
This obviously shouldn't happen.  Then, once the clock is way off, it
takes a very long time for NTPD to correct it, if at all.  Compare to my
experience on Windows, where, if the time is say 10ms off when I start
NTPD, then, within just a few minutes, that 10 ms error is eliminated.
I MAY have seen a time jump in Windows, but it certainly doesn't happen
all the time, if at all.  I have to do more testing.  But I know this
happens pretty much every time in Linux.

If anyone can help with this, it will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron