[ntp:questions] FreeBSD and Sure Electronics

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 19:00:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Alby VA <albyva at empire.org> wrote:

>  Its just the strangest thing that I cannot put my finger on. When I
> had
> Debian's kfreebsd running, data from /dev/cuau0 came through just
> fine.
> But once I switched over to FreeBSD v9 and patched the kernel for PPS,
> I'm stuck in this limbo state of seeing data (note: cu -l /dev/cuau0 -
> s 9600) below
> on /dev/cuau0, but with NTP running, it just comes back with nothing.
> I also have /dev/gps0 linked to /dev/cuau0, so its not a missing link
> issue.

The suggestion to "tee" the serial data to a log file will tell you if
data is passing through the port.  If you get data in the log then
there is something going on with ntpd or its .conf file.

If you don't get data (and we know the hardware is OK) then I'm
guessing the problem has to do with line discipline, that is a
requirement for handshake.  You'd need to turn that off.   That is a
long shot but what else could be non hardware and non NTP related?