[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.7p255 drops core on FreeBSD 8.2

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Feb 21 16:33:00 UTC 2012

> David:
>
> Did you use the 'ports system' to build your NTP?  Another question
> is your FreeBSD system hardware.  Is your system multi-core and 64
> bit?  I used the ports system to build mine and if you did not, then
> it might be an issue to be addressed by the Port Maintainer and not
> the NTP development team.
>
> Tom

Tom,

I asked on this very newsgroup about updating NTP, and was advise to use
the portmaster facility.  All documented here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm#FreeBSD8.0

I used:

  # portmaster net/ntp-devel

The hardware in an Intel Atom D410, single-core, hyperthreaded, on this
board:

  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-d410pt.html

with the 32-bit version of the OS.

Cheers,