[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.7p255 drops core on FreeBSD 8.2

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Feb 21 17:19:08 UTC 2012

Hi--

On Feb 21, 2012, at 6:37 AM, Thomas Laus wrote:
[ ... ]
> This is the system message log for ntpd 4.2.7p255:
>
> Feb 18 17:24:00 mail ntpd[994]: ntpd 4.2.7p255 at 1.2483 Wed Feb  8 16:48:02 UTC 2012 (1)
> Feb 18 17:24:00 mail kernel: pid 995 (ntpd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> I don't know what additional information can I gather before filing a bug
> report.  Is anyone else able to start ntpd version 4.2.7p255 on FreeBSD?

The net/ntp-dev port provides 4.2.7p255, so I would expect anything obviously wrong to have been seen by others.  This implies the issue is more specific to your config or maybe the type 30 Oncore driver.

Also, ntpd appears to be crashing immediately upon startup, rather than some unpredictable amount of time later, which ought to be much easier to debug.  Run it under gdb, or enable coredumps and run gdb against the corefile produced by the SIGSEGV, and get a backtrace. This will contain better information if ntpd was compiled with debug flag (-g).

Regards,
--
-Chuck

PS: By the way, your posting was notably better than the average, in terms of providing lots of info about the exact version of ntpd and platform being used, and the logging it produced.  There have been threads where I couldn't figure out either without needing to ask...