[ntp:questions] GPS Jammers in Use by Criminals - Warping Time for Fraud Suggested

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 23:28:40 UTC 2012

Should be easy to build a hand held jammer detector with a directional
antenna that the user can sweep around.    Or they can put the
detector at the car ferry toll both.    In theory jammer detectors
could be cheaper to build than GPS receivers.

Could you make one at home.  I think all that is needed is a long
directional antenna.  Maybe a helix type, an RF amplifier, filter and
a RF power meter.

My guess is these jammers are not very sophisticated and simply blast
RF hash all over L1 and adjacent bands.   A sophisticated jammer would
know exactly when to transmit over one bit or two bits, and in a
narrow band just enough to corrupt the GPS data and would have a very
lower average power output.  That would be hard to detect

I'd bet these jammers are the simplest type that can still work.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM, David Woolley
<david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> An article in the Metro, the free morning paper on the London commuter
> transport network, suggests that criminals may be using GPS jamming
> equipment to warp the time on financial systems to allow the commission of
> fraud.
>
> Although I can't find the source of that article, the BBC has an article,
> presumably from the same underlying source, addressing another point in that
> that article, that GPS jammers are increasingly being used to defeat GPS
> based car tracking systems.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17119768
>
> The Metro mentions a risk to car ferries from the denial of navigation data.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California