[ntp:questions] GPS Jammers in Use by Criminals - Warping Time for Fraud Suggested

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 23 19:31:16 UTC 2012

On 2/22/2012 5:16 PM, David Woolley wrote:
> An article in the Metro, the free morning paper on the London commuter
> transport network, suggests that criminals may be using GPS jamming
> equipment to warp the time on financial systems to allow the commission
> of fraud.

GPS is not the only source of time!

In the U.S. 60 cycle Alternating Current is the standard and the source
of time.  It's not going to give you the nanoseconds but very few people
could even explain what a nanosecond is let alone needing nanosecond
resolution.

> Although I can't find the source of that article, the BBC has an
> article, presumably from the same underlying source, addressing another
> point in that that article, that GPS jammers are increasingly being used
> to defeat GPS based car tracking systems.

If anyone wants to track my car's location, you're welcome.  And I hope
that no one dies of boredom!

<snip>