[ntp:questions] GPS Jammers in Use by Criminals - Warping Time for Fraud Suggested

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Feb 23 21:33:04 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-23, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 2/22/2012 5:16 PM, David Woolley wrote:
>> An article in the Metro, the free morning paper on the London commuter
>> transport network, suggests that criminals may be using GPS jamming
>> equipment to warp the time on financial systems to allow the commission
>> of fraud.
>>
> GPS is not the only source of time!
>
> In the U.S. 60 cycle Alternating Current is the standard and the source
> of time.  It's not going to give you the nanoseconds but very few people
> could even explain what a nanosecond is let alone needing nanosecond
> resolution.
>
>> Although I can't find the source of that article, the BBC has an
>> article, presumably from the same underlying source, addressing another
>> point in that that article, that GPS jammers are increasingly being used
>> to defeat GPS based car tracking systems.
>
> If anyone wants to track my car's location, you're welcome.  And I hope
> that no one dies of boredom!

If you are a policeman who has installed a gps tracker on a criminal or
terrorists car, that jamming is a problem. If you are company owner
whose truck drivers are suspected of abandoning their trucks for an hour
or so to visit some well known ladies, that could be a problem. If you
put a gps tracker on you car to recover it if it gets stolen, that could
be a problem. If your car has something like OnStar, and you get into an
accident from which you would like help to be rescued, that jamming
could be a problem.