[ntp:questions] Frequency Offset

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Feb 23 23:06:49 UTC 2012

Alby VA wrote:

>   When you say "crystals used to control the timing in computers",
> are you referring to the parts that make up my actual FreeBSD
> Server (ie: Motherboard)?  Or Parts in the GPS Device (ie: Sure Elec.
> GPS)?

Motherboard.

> Or in the Satellites receiving the GPS signal?

Satellites transmit GPS signals.  Their primary reference is onboard
atomic clocks.

>  I'm just trying to gauge, what hardware should be looking to obtain
> improve that frequency offset. Or is it a moot point unless I'm going
> invest in some high dollar atomic clock?

There is no point.  What you are interested in minimising is the first
(and higher) time derivatives of the frequency offset (although remember
that part of that error can be in the reference source).

>  Or better yet, can I buy quality crystals from DigiKey and do some
> soldering in whatever devices that need crystal upgrading?

Insulating and ovening the crystals would be more useful, although the
crystals used will be cut for compromise use over a large temperature
range, not precision use in an oven.