[ntp:questions] Frequency Offset

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 24 04:59:06 UTC 2012

On 2/23/2012 9:20 PM, Alby VA wrote:
> On Feb 23, 6:12 pm, Chris Albertson<albertson.ch... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The crystal on the computer motherboard.
>>
>> At the most basic level, the purpose of NTP is to compute that offset
>> you see.  That is the offset between the clock on the computer's
>> motherboard and a perfect clock.    The offset value will change with
>> temperature.  Try watching it for 24 hours or maybe partially block
>> the computer fan and see what happens in an hour.  NTP keeps
>> recomputing the offset as your computer's clock changes with
>> temperature or just with age.
>>
>> (I think you meant "Satellites  __transmitting__  the GPS signal")
>>
>> Chris Albertson
>> Redondo Beach, California
>

> Chris:
>

>   Thanks. I needed that NTP 101 lesson. So is it a stretch to try and
> obtain a quality motherboard to improve the frequency offset?

Forget about it!!  Your computer, and just about any other computer, is
not intended to be a precision clock.  The crystals used in most
computer clocks flunked the quality control testing for use in a cheap
wrist watch!

This sad state of affairs is why NTP exists.  It will beat your
computer's clock into submission!