[ntp:questions] Frequency Offset

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 20:07:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Richard B. Gilbert
<rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

>>  Thanks. I needed that NTP 101 lesson. So is it a stretch to try and
>> obtain a quality motherboard to improve the frequency offset?

Even if you were to get a higher quality  crystal it would still drift
and you'd need a GPS to keep it "on time".   The only thing you would
gain is that the frequency offset would change at a slower rate.   As
long as NTP can "keep up" with the rate of drift you are fine.

Practically speaking I doubt you could find a better replacement
crystal of the correct frequency that would fit in the space.  The
double oven crystals that are better tend be be the size of a one inch
cube, more or less and certainly not the tiny silver can on your
motherboard.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California