[ntp:questions] Change poll interval at runtime?

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Sat Feb 25 07:26:21 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 06:20, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
> On 2/24/2012 21:26, A C wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to change the polling interval of one or more associated
>> servers at runtime? It seems like I should be able to run:
>>
>> ntpq -c "writevar &associd hpoll=N" or is it ppoll?
>>

> Actually, I should have been more specific and say change the minimum
> polling interval.  In other words, be able to adjust the conf file's minpoll
> flag at runtime instead of restarting.

Yes but first you have to set up a ntp.keys file and reference from
ntp.conf keys containing a symmetric key ID, type, and secret which
you'll use for runtime configuration:

in ntp.keys:

1 M mysecret # choose keyid from 1-65535, longer secret is stronger

in ntp.conf:

keys "/etc/ntp.keys"
# match key ID from ntp.keys for both
controlkey 1 # key allowed to remotely manage
trustedkey 1 # keys trusted for symmetric auth including management

Then something like the below will work:

ntpq -c "keyid 1" -c "passwd mysecret" -c ":config unpeer
server.to.change" -c ":config server server.to.change iburst minpoll
Y"

If you leave off the passwd command you'll be prompted for the secret
and can type it without displaying it.

Cheers,
Dave Hart