[ntp:questions] Sure gps looses all sattelite fixes

John Hasler jhasler at newsguy.com
Tue Feb 28 00:29:47 UTC 2012

unruh writes:
> Surely it does not report based on predicted orbits.

Predicted orbits from the ephemeris is all it has.  It has no way to
actually track anything: it just has a single omnidirectional antenna.

> I could imagine that the signal is too weak for timing but strong
> enough to get location info from the sattelite.

It doesn't get location data from the satellite.  It uses the
ephemeris[1] to plot satellites that should be above the horizon.

[1]Updated periodically, of course.
--
John Hasler
jhasler at newsguy.com