[ntp:questions] Change poll interval at runtime?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Feb 28 11:33:27 UTC 2012

"Uwe Klein" <uwe at klein-habertwedt.de> wrote in message
news:0hfu19-smj.ln1 at klein-habertwedt.de...
[]
> The IBM-PC Hardware was quite the regression for the time.
>
> The 68k and Z80 Systems had "real*" and capable IO integrated circuits.
> The initial TTL bitbang stuff was really limited.
>
> Z8035, Z8530, M68851, M68230, ..
>
> uwe

Yes, I had a whole box of that range of ICs - CPU, I/O etc. - but threw it
out the other day as "no longer likely to be useful".  What's been very
helpful about the way that the IBM PC architecture and the operating
system support through Windows has evolved.  Given the right privilege,
software which pokes the old I/O port numbers still works!  I don't think
that a very high price has been paid for that backward compatibility,
either.

Cheers,
David