[ntp:questions] Sure gps looses all satellite fixes

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Feb 28 18:43:05 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-28, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> There is a bnc at the receiver end of the antenna wire. That is inside
>> the building. The antenna and the junctionless line are outside. The
>> antenna is supposed to be waterproof, but I put it into a plastic bag
>> just to keep the rain off it.
>
> s/sattelite/satellite/

Thanks

> I would keep a careful check of the times when this happens.  Is it during
> the working day, the working week?  When the humidity has become high, and
> condensation on your bag blocks the signals?

It is extremely rainy here, but it does not seem to be correlated to
that at all.
I also had dropouts when it was inside facing out an east facing window.
I thought it was due to the trees outside, but having seen the
strength on the roof for sattelites facing the trees, I think it was the
same dropout.

It was the reason I moved it out onto the roof.

Note that the strength of the signals right down to the horizon was
above 40dB for the sure unit when it was working.