[ntp:questions] how do you like the Trimble Resolution T

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 29 21:23:51 UTC 2012

On 2/29/2012 12:45 AM, Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone using the Trimble Resolution T GPS for timing? I was looking
> at an ad for one on ebay. For my purposes, any accuracy under 1 ms is
> great. I don't have to have 15 ns. Of course, smaller numbers are always
> better. Is this device hard to setup and program for PPS and use with
> NTPD? What accessories are needed?
>
> This is what the ad says is included:
>
> quote on ->
>
> The Resolution T Starter Kit provides everything you need to start
> integrating the module into your application. The kit includes an
> active, external 5-VDC Bullet-style antenna
> <http://www.ioffer.com/info/redirect_notice?url=http%3A//item.taobao.com/auction/item_detail.jhtml%3Fitem_id%3D9a519ec253fb6de5012d1e206938da00%26x_id%3D0db1%23>,
> 50 feet of RG-59 cable, and an AC/DC power adapter. The starter kit
> enclosure includes a mother board that provides serial output, and a
> serial interface cable. A reference manual and monitor programs are
> provided on CD-ROM.
>
> <- quote off
>
> I notice the unit only tracks 12 satellites and has 141 dbm sensitivity,
> which seems to be less than some units. Is that a problem?

ISTR that only three satellites are required to determine the location
of your antenna. Once this position is accurately known, you can live
with a single satellite.

The last time I heard there were something like 27 GPS satellites in
service.  There are usually something like 8 satellites above the
horizon.  Enough for most purposes!