[ntp:questions] Leap second

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Sat Jan 7 05:43:45 UTC 2012

In article <4f07406b$0$16297$e4fe514c at dreader37.news.xs4all.nl>,
Rob van der Putten  <rob at sput.nl> wrote:

>It would have to be implemented in a way that makes sense. A new
>standard perhaps. Is anyone into this sort of thing?

The Reference Implementation of the timezone library includes
time2posix() and posix2time() functions which perform the conversion
between POSIX's variable-length seconds and normal seconds since the
epoch, provided that the system's default timezone is one that
includes an accurate table of leap seconds.  It would be a fairly
simple (but tedious and error-prone) mechanical operation to make the
NTP Reference Implementation use this interface (or construct its own)
to convert all system timestamps back and forth.  I'm not
volunteering.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman    | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wollman at bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program