[ntp:questions] losing time fast

Thu Jul 12 19:56:04 UTC 2012

I didn't see anything that would allow ntp to runaway.

Fritz Wuehler wrote:
> # Sample /etc/ntp.conf:  Configuration file for ntpd.
> server  0.asia.pool.ntp.org
> server  1.asia.pool.ntp.org
> server  2.asia.pool.ntp.org
> server  3.asia.pool.ntp.org

If you use a more recent version Dev 4.2.7p288,
 (instead of 4.2.4p7 from May 2009);

You can replace those 4 lines with something like:
pool asia.pool.ntp.org preempt iburst
restrict source nomodify

NTP will automatically add servers (up to maxclock),
 and as it drops some, it will add more;
  eventually, you will likely end up with
   a clique of servers that have lower offset to you,
   and are also close in time to each other.

> multicastclient
> broadcastdelay	0.008
> #keys		/etc/ntp/keys
> #trustedkey	65535
> #requestkey	65535
> #controlkey	65535

I don't think multicastclient will work without Auth?
 (unless you disabled auth on the commandline?)

{This is likely only useful, if you have several ntp
  clients / servers on your LAN that you want to try
  and keep synced together, even when internet access is lost.}

e.g. I use something similar to this on all PCs / Devices
# ALL (Clients and/or Servers)
tos cohort 1 orphan 11
restrict default limited kod nomodify notrap
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict source nomodify
keys "/etc/ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M YOUR_MD5_KEY
trustedkey 123
manycastserver  224.0.1.1
manycastclient  224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
multicastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
broadcastclient

  will be added to the BlackLists.