[ntp:questions] Have Pi, have GPS = low powered NTP server?

Uwe Klein uwe at klein-habertwedt.de
Fri Jun 1 09:20:50 UTC 2012

Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:

> Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and K-9 Mail.
The dog ate my eMail ;-)

> (PS - If you email me and don't get a quick response, don't be concerned. I get about 300 emails
> per day from alternate energy mailing lists and such.
set up filters for sorting your eMail into different folders.
( I'd shoot myself before sifting through .5k of eMails per day.)

> I'm not asking about how to sort the hardware out, I can handle that I think. Just the opinion
> from anyone who knows more about Linux(Debian or??) on the ARM cpu, and it's ability in this
> respect.
>
> It's said, that the RasPi, has about the same cpu "grunt" as a 300MHz Pentium, but I have no way
> to qualify that statement.

If eth goes over USB you introduce significant delay _and_ granularity.
USB ( whatever speed) is a polled system! ( 1ms slots afair )
look into how the eth dev is set up.
Modern ones tend to have "globbed" interrupts. i.e. one int for multiple packets.
Havock for anything that expects expedient package delivery.

CPU omphf should never be a problem. ia32 33MHz system  used to run ntp well!

uwe