[ntp:questions] SNTP code in C or C++?

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 18:15:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at
tmsw.no"@ntp.org> wrote:
> bob wrote:
>>
>> Does anybody know of any good SNTP code in C or C++?  Maybe something that
>> uses Berkeley sockets?
>

> Maybe take a look at the C sntp code that's included in the regular ntpd
> distribution?

Yes, particularly in the latest ntp-dev snapshots.  It uses libevent
for callback-driven nonblocking I/O, implements happy eyeballs for
smooth IPv6 transition, and is intended and believed to be compliant
with the NTPv4 RFC (which also defines SNTPv4, though there was once a
separate SNTP RFC).  Along with the latest ntpd, I claim sntp + ntpd
can do whatever ntpdate + ntpd is used for today.

Cheers,
Dave Hart