[ntp:questions] How to insert a leap second with ntpq

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Wed Jun 20 05:42:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:30 AM, ZHOU.Jun wrote:
> I need to do some tests with ntpd and I want to have NTP packets set Leap
> indicator in order to insert a leap second to a Linux server running ntp client.
>
> How can I configure the server to generate a packet with Leap indicator 0x01?

Install the "leapfile" informing ntpd of the leap second to be
inserted at the end of this month:

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringNTP#Section_6.14.

Set the clock to the last day of this month -- verify with "date -u"
which will show the UTC time.  The insertion happens at the start of
July 1 UTC.

Cheers,
Dave Hart